Subject: Re: Pre-select packages for downloading by others
From: fergus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:11:56 +0000

Make a ground-up Cygwin installation using precisely those packages you
wish to recommend for others, and then grab the file
	/etc/setup/installed.db
Or, edit a copy of your existing version of this file to similarly
contain only those packages that you wish to recommend.

It will contain lines like
	rxvt rxvt-3.2-1.tar.bz2 0
	tar tar-1.4-6.tar.bz2 0

Hand edit it so that all the lines look like this instead:
	rxvt rxvt-0.tar.bz2 0
	tar tar-0.tar.bz2 0
(i.e. setting all version numbers to 0) or use a sed command line like
this
	sed -i
	's/^\(.*\) \(.*\) \(.*\)$/\1 \1-0.tar.bz2 0/'
	installed.db
(all 3 lines as one line) to achieve the same thing.

Then create a directory as follows containing only the one file you have
just created
	c:\Cygwin\etc\setup\installed.db

If you then run Cygwin setup from scratch, installing into c:\Cygwin\,
it will update all those files, and only those files, listed in your
"special" installed.db (because it updates the version number 0 to the
current provision).

(If you want to install your recommended system elsewhere than
c:\Cygwin, locate your special file installed.db accordingly.)

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/