Subject: Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.
From: Joshua Kolden <[email-masked]>
To: "Gary R. Van Sickle" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:30:30 -0800

> The question stands:  What is the reason Cygwin should provide this obscene
> content?

This is not the question.  Cygwin already provides the content.  
Therefore the question is: should it be removed?  That is to take action 
beyond that which is already available to the user.  Those actions being 
to A) uninstall, or not install the application; or B) to modify the 
open source software in keeping with open source design to address the 
perceived flaw.

You argue that it should, because you asses some of the content as 
obscene, and are personally offended by it.  Further you imply that 
removing the package from your own system is inadequate to address this 
offense. (please correct me if I miss state your argument)

I argue that it should not, because I find that the material has no 
particular negative quality.  The inclusion of such personality in 
software puts me at ease, and allows me to work freely with out the 
feeling that I have to watch what I say, or feel that I am working in a 
constrictive corporate culture (where I have specifically chosen not to 
work).  Further, I am offended by political correctness, it encourages 
people to hide their thoughts to avoid offending people instead of 
exposing those thoughts to debate.  I am also offended by any attempt by 
another to dictate the nature of the software I choose to install on my 
computer.

You are offended by it's inclusion, I am offended by it's removal.  We 
are at a deadlock, so no clear direction can be agreed upon.  The 
content is already included, no clear action can be recommended, 
therefore no action should be taken.

Additional, unnecessary, evaluation reveals that while you have two 
options to address your offense, I would have none if the tables were 
turned.  This provides additional weight to the argument that no action 
should be taken since it already represents the fairest arrangement to 
our two opposing concerns.

j

>  
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/