Subject: problems with overloading of the semantics of version number in cygwin/unison
From: Richard Lethin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:53:59 -0500

There is a problem with the way that cygwin is updating the version 
numbers for cygwin/unison.  Unison is used to synchronize filesystems; 
it can cross different operating systems over IP.  The protocol uses the 
version number to decide whether two processes on different systems will 
communicate.  2.9.1 is the official released version.  There is a beta 
version 2.10.2, but it is not widely deployed.  Thus people (like me) 
will want to use the 2.9.1 version of cygwin's unison.  However, cygwin 
is numbering its instance of this version 2.9.20-1.  When you try to 
communicate using cygwin's 2.9.20-1 with a standard 2.9.1 version of 
unison running on another system, the communication fails after the 
handshake when it discovers that the cygwin version is "2.9.2 [sic]". 
Yes, I think that the handshake is truncating the protocol string.

Anyway, my suggestion is that cygwin update the version of 2.9.1 that it 
is distributing, to separate the overloaded concept of version number 
into a cygwin version number (which could then be arbitrary) and leave 
the protocol number at 2.9.1

-- 
Richard Lethin
Reservoir Labs, Inc.
+1-212-780-0527 ext. 102
www.reservoir.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/