Subject: Re: Cygrunsrv and other random Cygwin apps, 100% CPU
From: Chris Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:14:43 -0500

Yep, it looks like CSRSS.EXE is taking whatever is leftover from the 
Cygwin-related task.

I did _MUCH_ web surfing last night, looking for information pertaining 
to the CSRSS.EXE and it looks like it's basically responsible for 
handling the Win32 subsystem.  I tried tweaking this and that by 
adjusting the heap sizes but no change, so I put the registry entry back 
to default.

However, I have discovered this little tidbit.

It appears this behavior is limited the Cygwin processes you have access 
to.  What I mean by that, is my account is an admin-level account, so of 
course I have the ability to stop/start services, which gives me access 
to the SSHD process.

However, my wife's account is just a user account, and she does not. 
This problem only pops its ugly little head out if I start a Cygwin 
process under her account, say Bash, or Rxvt, or XWin, etc.  Then I 
start random Windows applications until the max-CPU issue comes to, and 
the CPU spike only occurs with one of the Cygwin process I started with 
her account and the CSRSS.EXE.

Now, if I don't actually start any Cygwin processes, which is the norm 
for my wife's account as she doesn't use Cygwin for anything, then the 
issue never pops up under her account at all.  I launched Windows app. 
after Windows app. and it never occurred.

On another note, the Administrator account on the machine has the same 
problem my account has, that being the ability to cause any currently 
running Cygwin process and the CSRSS.EXE to max the CPU.  So I guess we 
can safely say it's not related to one account profile, I would assume.

Are there previous Cygwin builds available for download?  Maybe 
downgrading everything, one version at a time, would help me figure out 
what version of everything I was using prior this weekend's update, and 
this in-turn might help the incredible Cygwin programmers figure out 
what's changed since whatever that version may be, and now.  Maybe? 
Sounds sensible anyways, though I only dabble in programming, so... :-)

The search for a fix continues.... LOL :-)

---
Chris Wilson

Steven E. Harris wrote:
> 
> Yes, I saw the same thing last night, after having updated my Cygwin
> installation over the weekend. In my case I was toying around with
> Exact Audio Copy, with bash, XEmacs, and a cygrunsrv-hosted exim
> instance running but more or less idle.
> 
> Did you notice that csrss.exe was also eating a lot of CPU time? Once
> I stopped all my Cygwin-related processes, csrss.exe calmed back down
> and all was well.
> 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/