Subject: Re: Bug: link.exe
From: Isaac Foraker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:26:58 -0700

I'll be plain.  I try to contribute feedback to open source projects 
that I use.  I've had my own projects, and know how hard it is to get 
feedback.  I like Cygwin.  It lets me switch between Unix and Windows 
configurations relatively easily.

I am, however, greatly disappointed at how negatively certain members of 
this list treat people who provide feedback.  Not being able to keep up 
with the volume of the list, I don't always catch that upgrading Cygwin 
will break my build configurations.  In future, I am inclined to not 
report new problems after upgrading.  There are certain list members who 
seem to have a deep insight into Cygwin, and rather than sharing, they 
lambast those users who do not have the time to make Cygwin a major part 
of their lives.  Not all of us have the time to review several months 
worth of list archives to find what we need.  That just plain sucks.

Thanks for making such a useful tool available to the public.
IF

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:50:02AM -0700, Isaac Foraker wrote:
>  
>
>>That's a really nice attitude.  I don't expect anyone to bend over 
>>backwards, but a little QC would be nice.  If you would prefer that 
>>professionals using Cygwin with commercial configurations do not provide 
>>feedback, I suggest you update the fact and just say so.
>>    
>>
>
>Let me clarify:
>
>You implied that people "don't want to hear about MS VC++".
>
>I replied that no one cares if you are using it or not.  The point of my
>reply was to correct a misperception that we somehow don't want to hear
>that people use MSDEV.  We don't care what people use and are obviously
>not in the position to dictate anything to anyone.
>
>As you may have surmised, one of the major points of the project is to
>provide an environment that does not require MSDEV.  So, while we bear
>no ill will towards anyone who wants to use MSDEV, we are not going to
>go out of our way to change the distribution so that it works better
>with MSDEV.
>
>I have no idea what you're talking about wrt to "commercial
>configurations".  You can use Cygwin however you like, within the
>confines of the licensing.  We don't make any claims as to its fitness
>for any purpose commercial or otherwise.
>
>We also supply Cygwin with a money-back guarantee so, if you are not
>satisfied, please talk to your personal Cygwin customer support.
>  
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/