Subject: RE: openssh sshd slow logins
From: "Dave Wang" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Dave Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:57:25 -0800

hi,

i also forgot to mention that i have disabled all windows shares,
and modified the .bash_profile such that the paths are minimal.
these did not help either.  sorry for the previous poorly
formatted message.

-dave
dave at arubanetworks dot com

-----------------------------------------------------------
hi,

i'm having a problem where my cygwin openssh sshd logins are
  slow.  i am using rsa key autologins.  only a certain portion
  of the login is slow.  when i do a "ssh -x
  <user>@<cygwinmachine>" from my linux box, the authentication
  is immediately successful (the motd prints out immediately),
  but then it takes about 5 seconds for the shell to appear.  I
  know that the shell is not slow in starting up, because in
  /etc/passwd i've replaced the shell with the "date" command ,
  and that takes an equally slow amount of time to get from the
  motd to the shell program execution.

    -- i've added the option "UseDNS no" to the sshd_config file,
       to avoid reverse dns lookups.

    -- "sshd" is setup as an XP service, with access to the
       desktop

    -- "ssh -vvv user@machine" doesn't show anything wrong.  it
       is virtually instantaneous until after printing the motd.

    -- rsa key logins to a linux box on the same segment as the
       windows give me an instantaneous shell.

  the last thread i saw about sshd logins being slow was dated in
  2001, and those were resolved by disabling the reverse dns
  lookups (which i've done).

  Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks!

-dave
dave at arubanetworks dot com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/