Subject: Re: Ssh ignores $HOME
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], " Ben Wing" <[email-masked]>, " Stephen J. Turnbull" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:14:24 +0200

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:39:42 -0500, Pierre A. Humblet <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 08:24:55PM -0700, Ben Wing wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that ..... ssh is ignoring $HOME (despite its documentation)
> > and arbitrarily looking in /home/$USERNAME.  .....
>
> See last sentence in
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC18

This last sentence needs a correction: If there is no /etc/passwd ssh
will use the supplied$ HOME.

I would replace the faq sentence with: "Note that ssh disregard `HOME'
if /etc/passwd does exist."

I have checked this situation many times, as I make a minimal ssh
distribution (that can be run from a CD/flash) that run on machines
where Cygwin is not installed (and consequently - no mounts and
no /etc/passwd).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 Insurance agencies   (USA) voice mail and   X   Against   HTML   Mail
 http://www.mvs.co.il  FAX:  1-815-5509341  / \
 GnuPG: 98EA398D <http://www.keyserver.net/>    Better Safe Than Sorry

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/