Subject: Re: Ssh ignores $HOME
From: Larry Hall <[email-masked]>
To: "Ben Wing" <[email-masked]>, "'Michael Sperber'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Stephen J. Turnbull'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:34:35 -0500

At 10:24 PM 12/28/2004, you wrote:
>I've cc'ed [email-masked] because I've apparently identified a problem
>with Cygwin's ssh.
>

<snip>

>The problem is that /home/Ben is the wrong (and nonexistent, until created
>by ssh) directory.  My home directory is /ben.  For some reason, this
>version of ssh is ignoring $HOME (despite its documentation) and arbitrarily
>looking in /home/$USERNAME.  A symlink fixed the problem; but any
>suggestions as to what is going on here?

What in ssh's documentation says that it will *use* $HOME to determine where
your .ssh directory is?  The documentation uses $HOME for notational 
convenience and says that it will *set* HOME in the ssh environment AFAICS.  
Your $HOME directory in a ssh session under Cygwin is determined the same 
way it's determined in a local shell session.  Your home directory is defined 
in /etc/passwd.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746                     

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/