Subject: Re: "Hyperthreading" problems
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:29:10 -0800

Stephane Donze wrote:

> If you guys want cygwin to be used by real people, in real life
> production or development environments, you should go a bit further than
> "I don't have the problem on my computer, so fix it yourself". If you
> don't want to or are not able to pay attention to "real world" bugs,
> cygwin  will probably never be more than an "almost working" program
> that runs on your computer the time to take nice screenshots, but fails
> miserably when users try to make it work in the real life.

The real problem here is as follows: Chris and the other core developers
cannot reproduce the bug on their systems.  The people reporting the bug
can neither create a simple test case that demonstrates it, nor debug
the Cygwin internals and point to a specific defect.  So until one side
of this equation changes nothing is going to get fixed, no matter how
hard people beg, whine, and plead.  It's not about being uncaring or
whatever, it's just the way software development works.  You can't even
start to try to fix something that you cannot see or reproduce and have
nothing to work with.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/