Subject: Re: gcc installation problem and solution
From: "Rainer Dunker" <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:22:42 +0100

"Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]> schrieb am 28.12.04 11:40:39:
> > These are supposed to be symbolic links to the executables in the /usr/bin directory, but - for whatever reason - the setup program did not install them in a way that they were used as symlinks afterwards (for example, ar.exe is a text file with contents "!<symlink>/usr/bin/ar.exe"). So I removed them and created symlinks to the proper executables manually; after that, the problem was gone.
> 
> This is the correct content of valid Cygwin Symlinks and for me
> NT Explorer shows them as type "S" for symlink too.  The symlinks
> should work fine from within any Cygwin based shell (bash, zsh, ...).

I remember having seen that on W2K and maybe XP, but on my current NT4 box it's apparently different.
This is how a properly working symlink, created with ln -s, looks like:

As seen by 'ls -l':
lrwxrwxrwx    1 myname     mkgroup_       15 Dec 27 16:00 ar.exe -> /usr/bin/ar.exe

As seen by 'cmd /c dir':
27.12.04  16:00                    116 ar.exe.lnk

This is the hexlified contents of ar.exe.lnk:
00000000: 4c00 0000 0114 0200 0000 0000 c000 0000  L...............
00000010: 0000 0046 0c00 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000  ...F............
00000020: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000  ................
00000030: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0000  ................
00000040: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0f00 2f75  ............../u
00000050: 7372 2f62 696e 2f61 722e 6578 6515 0048  sr/bin/ar.exe..H
00000060: 3a5c 7075 625c 6379 675c 6269 6e5c 6172  :\pub\cyg\bin\ar
00000070: 2e65 7865                                .exe

The Windows Explorer properly handles this as 'ar.exe',
a shortcut to H:\pub\cyg\bin\ar.exe.

I can't help it, but that's what I see. I have no idea whether this difference
in storing symlinks is a property of different Windows or Cygwin versions -
or whatever.

Best regards,

Rainer

________________________________________________________________
Verschicken Sie romantische, coole und witzige Bilder per SMS!
Jetzt neu bei WEB.DE FreeMail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021193

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/