Subject: Re: YA in a series: snapshot what a happy sound
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:22:46 -0800

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 12:50:40AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> We're getting close to a 1.5.13 release, so I would appreciate
> it if people would send success or failure replies here.  Please make
> sure that you report the version of Windows that you are using.  That
> information is important for this change.
> 
> One thing to note in recent snapshots is that the process handling code
> has changed dramatically.  This part of cygwin should be
> ever-so-slightly faster than it was before.  One point of possible
> regression would be in cygwin's handling of non-cygwin processes.  So,
> keep your eye out for problems there, too, please.

I've tried the 20041225 snapshot and had a couple problems:

First, running non-cygwin programs has gotten very noisy.  Note the
"Terminated" and "Signal 15":

$ cygcheck -c cygwin
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               1.5.12-1       OK
Terminated

$ sh -c 'cygcheck -c cygwin'
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               1.5.12-1       OK
Signal 15

Second, perl test are hanging at the termination of ext/io/t/io_sock.t
http://public.activestate.com/gsar/APC/perl-current/ext/IO/t/io_sock.t

Commenting out the @INC='../lib' line (so it runs even outside the
perl build directory) and running the test with the cygwin
distribution perl will hang at termination; the perl process no longer
appears in ps when it hangs, and the parent process (whether bash, sh,
or perl) is unresponsive to signals (except that a kill -9 makes
further kills report that the parent process no longer exists, though
it stays in the ps output).

Running the perl test from cmd.exe also hangs.

I will try to pare down the test file and see how much I can isolate
the problem, but wanted to give you a heads up.  The previous snapshot
I tried was 20041218, and it did not have this problem.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/