Subject: Re: Setting $HOME for Windows
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:02:05 -0800

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> At home I don't even use that silly C:\Documents and Settings\$USER crap
> and have successfully (though not easily) hacked the registry into using
> C:\Home\<username> and storing all configuration type data into
> C:\Home\<username>\Configuration - but that's me...

There's no need to hack the registry to do this.  When you install
Windows you can specify the name and location of the "Documents and
Settings" directory (as well as the Windows directory itself.)  You do
this with a response file (winnt.sif) by adding a value "ProfilesDir"
under the [GuiUnattended] section.  When I installed my current copy of
XP I set the profile dir to C:\Users and have not had to touch any
further settings to have everything work fine.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/