Subject: Bug: link.exe
From: Isaac Foraker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:54:56 -0700

The recent change of installing coreutils with `link.exe' has introduced 
a *new* problem with configurations using Microsoft Visual C++ with 
Cygwin's GNU `make'.  Previously, one could specify "LD=link" in a 
Makefile, but now the corutils `link' will supplant Microsoft's linker, 
breaking builds.  Specifying "LD=link" worked with all versions of 
Cygwin for at least the last two years, so this is a new problem.  Since 
developers tend to install their tools in different locations, but 
always have these tools in their path, using "LD=link" has always been 
acceptable.

The coreutils `link' appears to reproduce the hard-link functionality of 
`ln', and should probably not be a part of the base installation.

My temporary fix for my developers is to remove coreutils `link' from 
our systems, but if it is reinstalled every time coreutils is upgraded, 
this will cause an ongoing problem.

IF

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/