Subject: Re: Environment variables & system privilages
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:41:29 -0800

Jason Pearce wrote:
> 
> Thanks. This works well enough. But I take it there is no universal
> command to check for system permissions.
> The procedure is just try a command that needs system privilages and
> watch the exit status.

Well, if you really want to check for this you could try comparing the
output of "id -u" to 18, the UID of the SYSTEM account.  I don't know if
the system account's id varies across different versions (eg 98 vs.
2k3), though.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/