Subject: Re: ssl on ssmtp
From: Robert R Schneck-McConnell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Reinhold May <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:15:21 -0500

Two general points:
(1) Don't e-mail cygwin package maintainers directly; use the mailing
list.  Some maintainers don't like private e-mail, and it helps to
have things in the archive.
(2) Read the package README files in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Reinhold May wrote:
>    I've been using ssmtp quite successfully for  some  time  now
> but I've just recently found out  that  my  email  provider  now
> supports smtp over ssl and I'd really like to use that.
>
>    Not finding any maintainer homepage for ssmtp,  I  thought  I
> just try to contact you as the maintainer of the cygwin  version
> (and maybe that's the only version there is?).

The upstream source is the Debian package at
http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/ssmtp
(Hmm; looks like it's time for an upgrade)

>    First of all, I don't know if the cygwin configuration is  by
> default configured with '--enable-ssl' as it  definitely  wasn't
> configured with '--enable-logfile' so I wonder,  if  I  have  to
> compile a new version in the first place (if it's in, I don't).

It does not have --enable-ssl on by default; this question is answered
in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ssmtp*README

Perhaps ssmtp should --enable-ssl by default?  Opinions?

>    Secondly,  I  tried  to  compile  'ssmtp'   configured   with
> '--enable-ssl' and the  linker  gives  me  the  following  error
> message:
>
>    ssmtp.o(.text+0x1716): In function `smtp_open':
>    /usr/src/ssmtp-2.60.9-3/ssmtp.c:1119: undefined reference to
> `_X509_free'
>
>    I commented the line out and I  got  an  executable  which  I
> could install and run,

I don't know what the right fix would be.

> but even with the options
>
>    UseTLS=YES
>    UseSTARTTLS=YES
>
>    It still seems  to  use  port  25  to  connect  to  my  email
> provider's smtp server.  I can't figure out to find out if  it's
> encrypted or not, but I guess not.

You have to set the port number yourself.  I believe you want 465?
So in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf, you would have a line like

mailhub=mail.your.domain:465

Best,
Robert

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/