Subject: Re: Setup and memory usage
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:42:42 -0000

> Is this just a local problem here, do you think?
> Other people are, somehow, still able to install Cygwin these days?
> Any idea how they do it?

I guess posts of the style "Well, I do this" are not very welcome on the
grounds of volume and non- generalisability. But since you ask:

1. I always do a full install, always using setup.exe.
2. For various reasons I do it quite often (4-6 / year) sometimes from the
web, sometimes from a local directory. On three machines, one W98SE, two XP
Pro SP2.
3. For a _long_ while both methods on all machines have been bomb-proof,
proceeding to a successful conclusion, and moderately rapidly. Ages ago the
installation was prone to hang during post-install, but this was mended.
4. Now the problem has returned, receiving huge attention on the list (with
the problem located somewhere in post-install of xorg?)
5. If you try installing in two stages (i - the default Base installation,
then ii - the rest) then, in my experience anyway, on three machines as
described above, the whole thing goes through like a dream.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/