Subject: Re: pax available?
From: "Chuck" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:06:46 -0500

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Igor Pechtchanski" <[email-masked]>
To: "Chuck" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: pax available?

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Chuck wrote:
>
> > I can't find pax as a package in the cygwin setup program. Is it known
under
> > some other name? Is it even available for Cygwin?
> >
> > I need the ability to extract files from an archive to a different name
and
> > pax is the only archive utility I'm aware of that can do this.
>
> In addition to what Larry wrote:
> FYI, if you mean .zip archives, "unzip -p foo.zip bar/baz/x > y" should
> extract file bar/baz/x in archive foo.zip as file y in the current
> directory.  "unzip" is part of the (surprise, surprise) "unzip" package,
> as the package search page at <http://cygwin.com/packages/> will tell you.
> Igor

That's not really going to help me. It'll rename one file at a time,
interactively.  I want to rename all files in the archive in as they are
extracted. For example, replace all occurences of string subdir1 with
subdir2. That's one of the things pax does but none of the other archivers
can do. I also want compatibility with pax archives coming from a Sun
system. What I really want is pax.

Someone else (Reini) pointed me to the gnu archives for the paxutils package
but I did not have success compiling it for cygwin. I followed all the
instructions but did not get a pax.exe executable. The "make" fails to make
target "pax" saying it can't resolve a link to some external reference named
"errno".

$ make pax
gcc  -g -O2  -o pax  pax.o cdf.o copyin.o copyout.o copypass.o defer.o
fmtcpio.o fmttar.o format.o getfile.o global.o rename.o util.o rtapelib.o
../lib/libpu.a
../lib/libpu.a(makepath.o)(.text+0xbd): In function `make_path':
/usr/src/paxutils-2.4h/lib/makepath.c:384: undefined reference to `_errno'
../lib/libpu.a(makepath.o)(.text+0xec):/usr/src/paxutils-2.4h/lib/makepath.c
:379: undefined reference to `_errno'
../lib/libpu.a(makepath.o)(.text+0x2db):/usr/src/paxutils-2.4h/lib/makepath.
c:283: undefined reference to `_errno'
../lib/libpu.a(makepath.o)(.text+0x347):/usr/src/paxutils-2.4h/lib/makepath.
c:262: undefined reference to `_errno'
../lib/libpu.a(makepath.o)(.text+0x531):/usr/src/paxutils-2.4h/lib/makepath.
c:347: undefined reference to `_errno'
../lib/libpu.a(makepath.o)(.text+0x5b3):/usr/src/paxutils-2.4h/lib/makepath.
c:332: more undefined references to `_errno' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [pax] Error 1
$

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/