Subject: Re: linking programs with winsock API - Problems
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:36:27 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:

> I am new to using the winsock programs. I am having problem in creating the runtime binaries using the socket programming with winsock API.
> 
> The error message received on the console is :- cannot find -lwinsock32

If you are compiling a _cygwin_ program and use standard posix socket
functions there is no need for -lanything because all of the socket
functions are handled by the Cygwin DLL.

If you are compiling a mingw application (i.e. you include -mno-cygwin
on your gcc command line) then you will have to add -lws2_32 or
-lwinsock.  However, "winsock32" is not the name of any valid mingw
library so that will not work.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/