Subject: Re: More pipe problems (was Re: [Fwd: 1.5.11-1: sftp performance problem])
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:32:31 -0800

Karl M wrote:

> Back on Octber 4-6, Corinna, Chris and Bob Byrnes were discussing
> temporarily reverting some of the pipe changes until a better solution is
> found so that native unison and other native programs would work with pipes
> (with ssh for example) on XP SP2.
> 
> With the release of the 1.5.12 cygwin1.dll, downgrading is no longer an
> option...there are dependencies that prevent rolling the dll back. Also, the
> cygwin1.dll version that temporarily solved the problem is no longer
> available through setup.
> 
> Is a solution expected any time soon, or can the cygwin1.dll have a
> temporary fix until a better solution is found.

Well, in the abstract sense, this is the beauty of open source.  If the
pipe patches are causing problems then download the code, find the
patches that were added and reverse them and build your own DLL. 
There's a command-line option of 'patch' to apply a changeset in reverse
-- "-R" I think.

In the more realistic sense if there are things that are truly broken
about the DLL then they need to be addressed.  Nothing gets this done
faster than a simple test-case posted to the list that demonstrates the
issue.  But failing that it shouldn't be too hard to check out the
source from a certain date, or even check out the current source and
reverse a given patch-set.  There are instructions for building the DLL
on the website.

Brian
(resists the "use the source, Luke" reference)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/