Subject: Re: Getting latest version of cygwin1.dll
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:33:18 -0800

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 04:16:33AM +1100, Darkfalz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> When I go to the main website, ALL I want to do is get the latest 
> cygwin1.dll file. You SHOULD have a link to a zip containing it on the main 
> page.

AFAICT, almost all software with sufficient user base is distributed via
mirrors these days; expecting to find downloads from cygwin.com is
unreasonable.  Given the existence of the mirrors, it makes all the sense
in the world to have a program to assist in selecting and downloading
from them.  That program is setup.exe.  As far as just the latest dll
goes, the dll is part of a package (coincidentally named "cygwin") with
some other files that should be updated all together.  Just because you
want to only get the dll doesn't make that a reasonable thing.

> But no, instead you offer your stupid installer, or you offer a page to 
> browse packages, but what do the packages contain? TEXT LISTING OF FILES 
> WHICH AREN'T EVEN THERE!

What can I say?  We must just hate you.

> Why do you have to make it so freaking hard for people who only need the 
> dll to run cygwin programs? 

There are a number of important packages that you should have to have
a working minimum cygwin installation.  setup will try to ensure that
you get these.  If you want to get by with less, don't expect it to be
supported, the lack of support beginning with making it "freaking hard"
to do in the first place.  I assume "freaking" here is used to mean
"not very", though I'm not familiar with that usage.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/