Subject: postinstall scripts don't run when installing onto samba share.
From: Donovan Baarda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:47:16 +1100

G'day,

I've googled around, searched the list archives, and not found anything
quite like what I'm experiencing.

Whenever I install onto a samba share (ie P:/cygwin instead of
C:/cygwin), the postinstall scripts don't run. There is no indication of
any errors. The most obvious symptom is the cygwin-X start menu entries
are not created. When I install to a local disk, they do run, and
everything installs OK.

As near as I can tell, when installing onto a samba share, the execute
permissions are not set on any install scripts. I noticed this when I
attempted to run the cygwin-X menu postinstall script. I was able to
manually do a "chmod a+x" on it then run it OK.

I don't understand why the execute bits would not be set. I thought
cygwin checked shell scripts for a #! and set execute based on that. Is
there something in my samba config that might be doing this?

-- 
Donovan Baarda <[email-masked]>
Obsidian Consulting Group

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/