Subject: Re: FYI: Reboot is needed after a failed setup.
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:58:00 -0800

Stephen More wrote:
> 
> I ran setup to update all my older packages. I hit an error: "mfw.exe
> Unable to Locate DLL".
> This must have corrupted something because from this point forward
> nothing was working as expected,  reinstalls and brand new fresh
> installs were not working correctly.
> After a reboot, I could succesfully reinstall cygwin.

This happens when you try to upgrade the cygwin package along with other
packages.  Setup first removes all files for the packages it's going to
replace, then unpacks the new files.  If you're upgrading the cygwin
package then this means there will be no cygwin1.dll for a while during
the upgrade, which also means that if one of the other packages has a
preremove or postinstall that tries to run before the new cygwin is
unpacked, then it will fail with "cannot find DLL" popup.

Solution: always upgrade the Cygwin package individually (by itself) and
then upgrade the rest.  Or add setup.exe logic to remove and install new
cygwin DLL first before all other operations, if selected.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/