Subject: Re: packages that should be in the cygwin distribution but aren't
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:09:51 +0100

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:50:19PM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> 
>>Maybe these are not standard packages for administrators, but since you
>>asked for development packages, these all are basic libraries or
>>compilers for developers.
> 
> And, yet, I'm a developer, and I don't have one of those libraries on my
> system.

Then you don't use jed or slrn which are based on slang.

libedit is a readline replacement and probably everybody has it on his 
box linked statically into some executable, eg. mysql client.

> I am looking for standard, frequently used linux packages that are
> missing from the cygwin distribution.  You certainly can't put "adns" in
> the same classification as bind.

Yep, since adns is just a client and requires bind or another resolver.

> I could have easily gone to the Debian web site and pulled down a list
> of hundreds of packages that are not in Cygwin.  My intent was to see
> what people thought was obviously missing.
> 
> Do you actually use adns frequently?  Somehow I suspect that you don't.

Well, not daily, but it works and I use it occasionally, maybe as often 
as I would use dig:
$ adnshost cygwin.com
cygwin.com A INET 12.107.209.250
$ adnshost -tmx cygwin.com
cygwin.com MX 10 sourceware.org ok 0 ok "OK" ( INET 12.107.209.250 )

I like this more than ahost from ares which is of course just an example 
how to use ares and not a full blown command line interface to the library:
$ ahost cygwin.com
cygwin.com                              12.107.209.250

BTW, ares (now c-ares) is an integral part of curl and probably you use 
it every day.

Anyway, I think I got your point.  I was really missing top, but today I 
learned that it is already part of the distribution.

Do we have the at command? smartmontools? ntfs-progs? some watchdog?

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/