Subject: Re: howto register process
From: Kamen TOMOV <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Nov 2004 17:29:45 +0200

On Fri, Nov 12 2004, Dave Korn wrote:

>   Waittaminnit.  You're saying that the spawned processes _aren't_
> cygwin processes?
> 
>   Well then you're entirely barking up the wrong tree.  Cygwin can't
> magically make win32 programs signal-aware.  The issue of not having
> a pid for it is utterly irrelevant.
> 
>   OTOH, I think if you were to spawn them under a shell, rather than
> by fork-and-exec, you would probably be able to kill the children by
> killing the shell, in much the same way as if you're running in bash
> and you run cmd.exe at the command line you can then kill it and
> return to the shell by pressing ctrl-c.  Which doesn't usually kill
> cmd.exe, but when it's launched as a child of a cygwin shell, works
> fine.
> 
>     cheers, 
>       DaveK
> -- 
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

That's a great idea. I'll stick with it and will rewrite the
application to start the daemons from the cygwin's shell. That would
make my life much easier because instead of rewriting the cygwin's
fork function to register processes in its own virtual table (although
I do not know if that is possible) they would be instantly
available. It was strange to me that fork do not make them appear
there but anyway... thank you very much!

Regards,
-- 
Kamen TOMOV

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/