Subject: Re: howto register process
From: Kamen TOMOV <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Nov 2004 20:24:30 +0200

On Thu, Nov 11 2004, Dave Korn wrote:

> > From: cygwin-owner On Behalf Of Kamen TOMOV
> > Sent: 11 November 2004 11:01
> > To: cygwin
> > Subject: howto register process
> > 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I have an application that is created to work on Unix but it is
> > supposed to run on Windows as well. The problem is that we have a
> > daemon that spawns a few children and later it needs to kill
> > them. The parent process is supposed to communicate with its
> > children by signals and to eventually terminate them. I would like
> > to use kill(pid, signal) to kill the processes because they rely
> > on the signals mechanizm.
> > 
> > The problem is that kill returns "not such pid". Is there a way to
> > register a process in the cygwin process table so that later be
> > able to kill it with kill()? TIA.
> 
>   You can't kill a windows process with cygwin kill.  Presumably
> your software is using the windows native functions to spawn child
> processes?  That's not necessary: cygwin gives you unix syscalls on
> windows.  If you used the standard posix functions (fork/exec/etc)
> to start the children, kill would work fine on them, and you'd have
> a lot more common code and a lot less differences to keep track of
> between your unix and 'doze versions of your code.
> 
>     cheers, 
>       DaveK
> -- 
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Thanks Dave. The thing is that the child processes get forked with a
fork() invocation. What's more not only the child pids are invisible
to cygwin, but also their parent is invisible. That is why I'm
wondering isn't there a way to make them part of the processes that
are visible by cygwin. My purpose is - to be able to kill them with
kill() and to use the signal system.

Regards,
-- 
Kamen TOMOV

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/