Subject: Re: Setting Enviroment Variables
From: [email-masked] (J. David Boyd)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:31:58 -0400

Nemes <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> Can anyone help with any of the above queries ???
>
> Thanks in advance to all those with the patience to compose a reply....
>
> Nemes

If no one has replied to this before I get to my work machine, where I have
been running Cygwin for years, I can send you a reply, and show you what my
.profile and .bashrc are set to, as well as some of my aliases.

Quickly though:

The two environment variable settings in XP are ones that are global, for all
users, and user specific.

If you have installed software that everyone that logs on to that machine can
use, you set the environment in the global section.

Conversely, if software has been installed that only one can use, you set the
environment in the specific user section.

Anything you have set in the XP environments (global or user) will be
inherited when you start Cygwin.

You can set environment variables in the cygwin.bat file, or you can put them
in .profile or .bashrc.

Sometimes, there are some funny rules about the system reading .profile and
.bashrc, but for the most part, I set almost all of my environment in .bashrc,
and I don't have any problems.

Dave

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/