Subject: Re: Distributing Cygwin-based software
From: Soeren Nils Kuklau <[email-masked]>
To: Jani Tiainen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:37:05 +0200

Jani Tiainen wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote: 
>
>> Can I have a copy of your source code please?
>
Soon :-)

> Only if daemon is published (or distributed)... =)

Give us a few weeks and we'll release it to the outside. Source and 
binaries for Mac OS X and Linux/x86.

D N wrote:

> Srvany?
>
> Try that out :)

Thanks, we will.

> sha1sum.exe? 

Calling an external tool for generating password hashes seems awkward. 
We do have openssl-devel installed, and the `sha.h' header file looks 
identical to the one we're used to (from OS X), so we're unsure why this 
bug is occurring. Since I haven't found any info on this on the 'net, 
I'll have to assume the mistake is somewhere in our code :-)

Before we've fixed that, however, we can obviously not release a Windows 
(Cygwin) binary.

As to the comments about this thread being on the wrong mailing list:

1) I don't want to be a bother - if a list moderator wants this 
discussion to stop, I'll stop, and I hereby apologize for any trouble 
I've apparently caused.

2) I personally believe that Cygwin is primarily an environment, and not 
a distribution. We do use Cygwin to build our project, because Cygwin 
feels less "alien" from our point of view. At the same time, however, we 
do not want Windows-based users to feel forced into Cygwin's behaviours. 
We want to distribute a Windows application - GPL'd, with some 
Unix-style quirks, and compatible to the other major OS'es out there, 
but Windows nevertheless. Those who truly want a full Unix experience 
wouldn't use Windows in the first place, and thus not Cygwin either.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

-- 
Soeren 'Chucker' Kuklau

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/