Subject: Re: Ping: Cygwin libtool / assembler problem with -DPIC
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:51:58 +0200

Hi Charles,

I just don't think it is good idea to use flags for s.th. else just
because they are there anywhere.  If there is need for anther special
flag then introduce it, exactly for this reason and this platform and
for nothing else.  DLL_EXPORT is the best example, if there is really a
need for another flag like this to be used like you described then
introduce one which is a flag that doesn't affect other tools like ld,
as, ar, ....

PIC is the option to get position independent code where it makes a 
difference.  It makes no difference on Cygwin: so don't use the flag.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/