Subject: Re: other services ok, ftp not (was 1.5.11 - tcp problems)
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:35:50 -0700

Carlo Florendo wrote:

> Anyway, I got this error:
> 
> getservbyname() returned NULL: win32 error 11004

Googling shows that this is consistent with trying to run a
program/server that tries to look up its port in the services file when
no such matching line exists.

> I also read the message regarding the \r\n and \n line endings (still
> not in my mailbox) and Corinna's reply.  I've checked the services file
> and confirmed that the line endings are \r\n  (with the simple test of
> ^M showing up when invoking `vim -b'.  Notepad also views the file
> correctly, thus it's really \r\n.).
> 
> I'm confident we're getting close!

Closer yes, but I'm afraid I don't have much else coming to mind. 
Everything indicates that it's not finding what it's looking for in the
services file.  Maybe some spaces got replaced by tabs and windows
cannot cope?  Maybe your cat walked across the keyboard when you had the
file open in an editor?  :-)  Try the minimal services file necessary:

cd `cygpath -u $SYSTEMROOT/system32/drivers/etc`
mv services services.bak
echo "ftp 21/tcp" >services   # according to corinna there's no need for
\r here

If that fixes the testcase then gradually add back the rest of the stuff
in the file until you figure out what it is that's causing it to fail.

One thing is clear though, this is not a Cygwin problem.  The mingw
example shows a minimal testcase that involves no Cygwin code at all,
just direct calls to the Winsock functions.  I'm willing to bet if you
found a regular windows application that tried to look up a port using
getservbyname() it would fail in the same way.  This is a relatively
rare/antiquated thing to do as most apps either have the port
configurable via a URL or a config file, or they just hard-code it.

If you want a quick and dirty solution, comment out the call to
getservbyname in the ftp source code and modify it to assume port 21. 
But that's admitting defeat, really.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/