Subject: Re: other services ok, ftp not (was 1.5.11 - tcp problems)
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:05:48 -0700

Carlo Florendo wrote:

> Here's what I got:
> 
> getservbyname() returned NULL: Operation not permitted

Hmm.  That's the same thing I get if I rename my "services" file to
something else so that it's not found.  But it seems we've already
thoroughly checked that.  If you also get win32 error 11004 ("The
requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not
have the correct associated data being resolved for") for the mingw
version then that strongly suggests something is still not right with
the services file.  However, an error when running the mingw version at
least tells us that it's not Cygwin, since the Cygwin DLL is not loaded
for that one.

Perhaps the line endings got screwed up in your services file at some
point?  They should be DOS (\r\n) not unix (\n).

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/