Subject: Re: Cygwin & openssh(d) & login without password
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: lex ein <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 10:53:50 +0200

lex ein wrote:

 >>> I've read lots of web pages about how to set it up,
 >> WHY DON'T YOU READ THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION INSTEAD? [caps mine]
 > BECAUSE in the case of openssh(and others), the "official
 > documentation"  is of little use to a new user: information is not

Huh?  I have read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README, then I ran
sshd-config and ssh-config and it works for me.  I edited manually
the /etc/sshd_config file to disable password login and to enable
X forwarding.

Then I bought a book about SSH because I thought, now after I have it
running, I want to know every single bit about it, but after reading
this O'Reilly SSH book I knew, there is nothing else.  SSH is running
here and that was the last time a I thought about it, it is just
sitting here and listens to port 22 in case its master wants to login.

[...]

 > 2. The user might type 'help openssh' and be told to "try 'man -k
 > openssh'  which produces "openssh: nothing appropriate", a nice
 > showstopper.  IF  enterprising (and unafraid of the command line)
 > enough, one _might_ try  'man openssh', and 'info openssh' and be met
 > with stony silence.

Actually, this is not a bug.  The programs are called 'ssh' and 'sshd'
and so are the man pages, try `man ssh' or `man sshd'.

 > 3. One may try 'help ssh' and be told to "try 'man -k ssh' which
 > produces  "ssh: nothing appropriate", another showstopper.  One _might_
 > ultimately  try 'man ssh' instead and get (sort of) lucky.

This is *your* setup, this has nothing to do with openssh:

$ man -k ssh
[...]
ssh                  (1)  - OpenSSH SSH client (remote login program)
ssh [slogin]         (1)  - OpenSSH SSH client (remote login program)
ssh-add              (1)  - adds RSA or DSA identities to the 
authentication agent
ssh-agent            (1)  - authentication agent
ssh-keygen           (1)  - authentication key generation, management 
and conversion
ssh-keyscan          (1)  - gather ssh public keys
ssh-keysign          (8)  - ssh helper program for hostbased authentication
ssh_config           (5)  - OpenSSH SSH client configuration files
sshd                 (8)  - OpenSSH SSH daemon
sshd_config          (5)  - OpenSSH SSH daemon configuration file

[...]

 > So, let's have no more asking new users why they didn't read the
 > official  documentation, then, eh?  They have _very good reasons_ for
 > not doing so.

I don't think so.  I have read every document under /usr/share/doc/Cygwin.
There is lot of documentation and help at the official website, e.g. the
packages site http://cygwin.com/packages/.

I think if it is too much for Joe User to:

1. read just four pages of docu
2. after searching the docu one hour
3. just to get sshd up and running the first time

then the IT business might be the wrong place for Joe.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/