Subject: Re: whole Cygwin release/ distribution issues
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Reini Urban <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gerrit @ cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:35:32 +0200

Hallo Reini,

Am Montag, 4. Oktober 2004 um 21:06 schriebst du:

> Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
>>>gcc-core > 3.3.3
>>>   needs libtool-devel-1.5.10 (still in test) for
>>>     libtoolized packages: .rdata bug
>> 
>> Not a bug, a feature?

> ??

I don't know if it is a bug or a feature, it may well be that there
was some effort to implement this as it is now and it was considered
to be a bug as it was before, but I don't know about it.

I wonder that this change happened from a version dump of 3.3.1 to
3.3.4, so it may well be a bug.  Maybe it was introduced as
improvement for 3.4, we backported also some changes from 3.4 to 3.3.

> same as the new libtool strictness which we don't quite like. (pass_all)
> old-style dlltool/dllwrap works just fine for me.

I like gcc -shared;)  Libtool could be better, but it works, I use two
hacks currently (not the pass_all thing I can live with this most of
the time), one to link the real executable from .libs to te actual pwd
and another to skip the relinking during installation since it lasts
very long to relink all shared libraries / modules in a package.

>>>postgreql-7.4.5
>>>   pgperl fails
>> 
>> Why?

> Probably just not enough shared memory for cygperl.dll.
> Or if not, some missing deps which have to be dlpreloaded.
> But I don't test 7.4.5 anymore, since I'll take over from jason 8.x and
> I do test it with the current 8.x cvs version, which is much better.
> I'll add pgperl upstream regression tests, so it will get caught then.
> They are just cleaning up the mess.

Ok.  I'll try to review the postgres package you posted.

>>>gnome2
>>>   stable?
>>>   some packages missing.
>> 
>> far away from stable...

> good to know. timeframe?

Hmmm, I hope that we will see the 2.8 desktop running this year.

>>>* perl layout (better upgrade convenience)
>> 
>> will be changed in the next update, I promise;)

> So we'll need another full recompile of all our extensions? :)
> No problem, if it stays then until perl6 or another xs API change,
> which will require rebuilds.

Perl6?  What is this?  There will be perl 5.10, 5.12, 5.14, 5.16, ...

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/