Subject: Re: ssh-host-config requires cygminires.dll
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:12:44 -0700

a12 wrote:

> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README states:
> If you start sshd as deamon via cygrunsrv.exe you MUST give the
> "-D" option to sshd. Otherwise the service can't get started at all.

That isn't telling to you use -D on the cygrunsrv command line
directly.  It means that the sshd arguments should contain that
parameter.  I.e. you must include -D in the setting of the -a parameter,
such as "cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D"  -D
is not a cygrunsrv option, it is the predicate of the -a option.

> ssh_host_*_key.pub are owned by the user that has run ssh-host-config
> Is it OK ?

If you ran the above commands they should be owned by SYSTEM.  The idea
here is that those files contain the private half of the host's
public/private keypair, and this is sensitive data.  So the file should
be readable only by the account that runs the ssh daemon.  If you are
the only local user then it doesn't really matter much as you can be
trusted, but on an actual multiuser posix system you would want to
restrict the host key files accordingly.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/