Subject: Re: cygserver won't start
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:13:27 -0700

Michael Hipp wrote:
> 
> Brian Dessent wrote:
> 
> > Michael Hipp wrote:
> >>"starting service `cygserver' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted."
> >>
> >>Any clue what this trying to tell me.
> >
> >
> > What are the permissions and ownership for /usr/sbin/cygserver.exe?
> 
> Windows reports "Full Control" for Everyone (including Read & Execute).
> Current owner is me (MICHAEL\michael). I'm a member of Administrators on
> this box.
> 
> Bash reports:
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 michael  Users      103424 Sep  4 22:18 cygserver.exe

Hmm.  You should also check that /etc/cygserver.conf is readable by
SYSTEM and that /var/log/cygserver.log is readable and writable by
SYSTEM.  You could always just do "chown SYSTEM:root" and "chmod 644" on
them if unsure, but I suspect they're fine.

Only other thing I can think of is that something else in the DLL path
required for cygserver lacks read and execute permission for SYSTEM. 
cygcheck reports that the only DLL that cygserver depends on is the main
cygwin1.dll, so verify that it has r and x for SYSTEM.

If none of that works, then you'll have to get some more info about the
failure.  Two ways that come to mind would be to add "-d" to the
cygserver commandline (use cygrunsrv to remove and reinstall the
service, or just edit the key of the registry); and getting a bash
prompt as SYSTEM and launching it from the console and see what happens
(google the list archives for "sysbash".)

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/