Subject: Make Utility and DuplicateHandle(In) failed (e=6)
From: Jussi Jumppanen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:13:16 +1000

Some time ago "luca landi" <llandi at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> problem running make 3.77.94 inside bash
>
> It appears that new cygwin.dll or bash.exe is causing some 
> problem with console handling. In the case above, bash is 
> run inside a command shell window and then make is launched 
> as a child process of the shell. The error above appears
> to be related to handling of stdin. What should happen is
> that make is trying to duplicate a copy of stdin to pass to
> child process as default stdin for the child. However, the
> call to DuplicateHandle() (a WIN32 API) is failing because
> of an e=6. 

Quite some time later it does appear that the problem or a 
problem similar to this still exists, at least with the make
utility :( 

I had a user report the exact same error message when using 
the Zeus for Windows IDE to run the Gnu make utility. A quick 
search of google shows that other programs have come across 
the same error condition.

After some investigation, it looks like the bug also relates 
to the cmd.exe interpreter. In fact if the command.com is used 
then the problem goes away.

For any one that might be interested, more details on the bug 
and the resulting workaround can be found at the following 
forum topic:

   http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38

Jussi Jumppanen

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/