Subject: Re: cygrunsrv fails to run services
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:54:57 +0200

Igor schrieb:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>> Igor wrote:
>>
>> Coming back with this now. Today I upgraded cygwin from 1.5.5 to 1.5.11
>> at another box, now the same problems here, starting sshd gives me an
>> error 1062 or 1067, depending on the way how I start it, via Service
>> Control or via cygrunsrv from the prompt.  I have check_case:strict here
>> too.  Removing check_case:strict from the environment resolves the
>> problem.

> Another workaround is to fix the cases of directories in your PATH. If
> you do that, you can keep the "check_case:strict" setting.

I verified that the actual directory names and the settings in PATH are
the same, is there another place where Windows returns garbage?

>> Now I wonder what was changed in Cygwin so that it doesn't work anymore
>> when check_case:strict is defined, it used to work back in the good old
>> B20 days up to at least 1.5.5 and now with 1.5.10 it doesn't work
>> anymore, sigh!

> That's a good question.  Try as I might, I couldn't see *any* changes in
> the path.cc code that could have caused this behavior to change.  All of
> the relevant code was written as far back as 2001...

Actually I upgraded to 1.5.11, but I saw the problems also with 1.5.10,
cannot say when the cut happened, IIRC I used 1.5.5 and then upgraded to
1.5.10.

I don't think that it is in the path code.  Must be some other reason.
E.g. cygserver runs in background, but cygrunsrv thinks it receives an
error and exits, also sshd is running happily in background without
cygrunsrv sitting on it.  So it is not the problem that the application
is not running.

> FWIW, I'm hoping to submit a patch tonight with one possible fix for this.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/