Subject: Re: Is setup.exe _supposed_ to delete the cygwin dll before attempting to run shell scripts?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:33:57 -0700

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > You first get the depth-first order: D, C, B, A.
> 
> <PEDANTIC>
> Properly speaking, the depth-first order will be B, D, C, A...
> </PEDANTIC>

D'oh'

> Unfortunately, this won't work when you have circular dependencies (e.g.,
> cygwin <-> fileutils).

Oh, did I forget to say the graph must be a DAG before starting?  :) 
Anyway, there are heuristics that could be used to find the best
"feedback set" of edges for which removal would result in an acyclic
graph.  e.g. the one described at
<http://www2.toki.or.id/book/AlgDesignManual/BOOK/BOOK4/NODE182.HTM>

> I think Max's solution is probably the least complex short-term one (i.e.,
> run all preremove scripts in batch *before* removing any files, and hope
> for the best).

Yeah, probably true... I realize that people have probably already
suggested these solutions involving graph theory in the past.  And as
you point out, a working patch is one thing, a bunch of conjecture is
another.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/