Subject: Re: [APPS] ping python maintainer (and others) - Launching cygwin apps from cmd.exe vs. softlinks in /bin
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:10:22 -0700

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 04:09:50PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> >Now, in this particular case "python.exe" is a cygwin old-style
> >softlink rather than a windoze .lnk-style shortcut.
> 
> Because that's how setup.exe sets up symlinks.  PTC.

Alternatively, the postinstall[1] script could be used to setup the
symlink using 'ln', instead of including it in the tarball and expecting
setup.exe to make it.  Wouldn't that make everyone happy?  (Except
perhaps the python maintainer, who now has an extra step...)

Brian

[1] And technically you'd need to remove it with a preremove script,
otherwise you'd get a broken link hanging around in your path after you
removed the package with setup.exe.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/