Subject: Re: Running cmd programs in cygwin / rxvt
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:27:42 -0700

overbored wrote:

> There are some cmd shell programs that don't run well in rxvt. Most
> noticeably, they don't always immediately write out their output. They
> seem to work fine in the default cmd window though (doesn't matter if
> it's in cmd or in bash). Does anybody know what the problem is here, and
> how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

What you're seeing is caused by the output of the program going through
a tty (or pty as the case may be.)  When you run it from a straight
cmd.exe it's not using tty code (unless you have CYGWIN=tty set.)  From
my meagre knowledge of the subject it has to do with the program not
explicitly flushing stdout (or not knowing that it needs to as this is
usually not required under windows.)

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/