Subject: 19 symlinks with missing target
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:35:03 +0100

In something like 90,000 files for the current full installation, of which
4,439 are symlinks, there are 19 with missing or wrongly defined target.
They are 

 /bin/X11 -> ../X11R6/bin
 /bin/aclocal-1.4 -> ../autotool/stable/bin/aclocal-1.4
 /bin/aclocal-1.9 -> ../autotool/devel/bin/aclocal-1.9
 /bin/automake-1.4 -> ../autotool/stable/bin/automake-1.4
 /bin/automake-1.9 -> ../autotool/devel/bin/automake-1.9
 /bin/rcs2log -> ../share/cvs/contrib/rcs2log
 /lib/X11 -> ../X11R6/lib/X11
 /lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3/adalib/libgnarl.so -> libgnarl-*.so
 /lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3/adalib/libgnat.so -> libgnat-*.so
 /lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-mingw32/3.3.1/gnat1.exe ->
../../i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.1/gnat1.exe
 /lib/rpmpopt -> rpm/rpmpopt
 /lib/terminfo -> ../share/terminfo
 /usr/X11R6/include/X11/X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11
 /usr/X11R6/share/tcm-2.20/help/CHANGELOG -> ../../CHANGELOG
 /usr/X11R6/share/tcm-2.20/help/COPYING -> ../../COPYING
 /usr/man/de/man1/gsbj.1 -> gslp.1
 /usr/man/de/man1/gsdj.1 -> gslp.1
 /usr/man/de/man1/gsdj500.1 -> gslp.1
 /usr/man/de/man1/gslj.1 -> gslp.1

I can see that all those under /bin/ and some but not all under /lib/
actually work properly when mounted respectively under /usr/bin/ and
/usr/lib/. I got the listing by a simple translation of (sp)->(sp) to /../
for all symlinks and seeing whether the file or folder thus defined existed.
In 4,420 cases (99.6% success) it did. None of these 19 others seems to be
particularly problematic (but then I have never knowingly sought to use
them).

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/