Subject: broken hardlinks and "permission denied" while copying under cygw in Unix/Linux type files from CD-ROM
From: "Povolotsky, Alexander" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Yuli Barcohen'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:18:36 -0400

Hi,

 - I am getting broken hardlinks and "permission denied" while copying under
cygwin Unix/Linux type files from CD-ROM  ...
I was advised that: " fadsroot must be copied exactly, any error
message probably is a result of the above mentioned incompatibilities
 and the resulting FS would be broken."

What would be the recommended course of actions ?
Should I manually create softlink instead of each broken hardlink ?

What is the solution for "permission denied" files ?

Thanks,
Alex

PS Yuli - I hope that is the right forum for above questions ?
*******************************
apovolot@USPITLAD104868 /cygdrive/e/fadsroot
$ pwd
/cygdrive/e/fadsroot
$ cp -r * /cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libip6t_hl.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libip6t_mark.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_connmark.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_dscp.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_ecn.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_mark.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_pool.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_tcpmss.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_tos.so': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/lib/iptab
les/libipt_ttl.so': Permission denied
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/lib/pe
rl/5.8.2/sys' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/lib/perl/
5.8.2/Sys'
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share
/man/man3/Locale::gettext.3pm.gz': Invalid argument
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share
/man/man3/Text::CharWidth.3pm.gz': Invalid argument
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share
/man/man3/Text::Iconv.3pm.gz': Invalid argument
cp: cannot create regular file
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share
/man/man3/Text::WrapI18N.3pm.gz': Invalid argument
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
perl/5.8.2/pod' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/p
erl/5.8.2/Pod'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/a' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/A'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/e' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/E'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/l' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/L'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/m' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/M'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/n' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/N'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/p' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/P'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/q' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/Q'
cp: will not create hard link
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/
terminfo/x' to directory
`/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/fadsroot/usr/share/termi
nfo/X'

apovolot@USPITLAD104868 /cygdrive/e/fadsroot
$

apovolot@USPITLAD104868 /cygdrive/e/fadsroot
$
>  -----Original Message-----
> From: 	Povolotsky, Alexander  
> Sent:	Thursday, September 16, 2004 2:51 PM
> To:	[email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
> Subject:	RE: problems with initialization while accessing NFS mounted
> root file system during the boot
> 
> I forgot to mention that I am booting Linux 2.6.8-rc4 ...
> What file system support I need to configure while bulding the kernel for
> the case when root file system is nfs mounted on Windows host (see below)
> ?
> 	 -----Original Message-----
> 	From: 	Povolotsky, Alexander  
> 	Sent:	Thursday, September 16, 2004 1:15 PM
> 	To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]';
> [email-masked]'
> 	Subject:	problems with initialization while accessing NFS
> mounted root file system during the boot
> 
> 	Hi,  
> 
> 	I've managed to program U-boot bootloader and now am trying to boot
> my PQ2FADS-VR board ...but I have problems with the  initialization while
> accessing NFS mounted root file system ... . 
> 	I have NFS server running on my Windows XP Laptop (that is all I am
> allowed to have, no Linux hosts machine available to me ...). I copied
> entire "fadsroot" directory from Arabella's CD-ROM into my "fadsroot"
> directory on my D-drive and made this directory nfs-shared-mountable (I
> have propagated permissions from "fadsroot" down to all subfolders within
> "fadsroot" ...).
> 
> 	I noticed several errors during the copy process - complaining that
> I am over-writing the files being already copied - is it an issue with
> "letter case" ? - are there files on the Arabella's CD-ROM "fadsroot",
> which have same names but differ just in the letter case used ?
> 
> 	Anyway I am getting the following error during the end of the boot:
> 	......
> 	device=eth0, addr=192.168.1.103, mask=255.255.255.0,
> gw=255.255.255.255,
> 	host=192.168.1.103, domain=, nis-domain=(none),
> 	bootserver=255.255.255.255, rootserver=192.168.1.100, rootpath=
> 	Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.1.100
> 	Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.1.100
> 	VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
> 	Freeing unused kernel memory: 272k init
> 	Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> 	Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
> 	 <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..
> 
> 	My U-boot environment is:
> 	=> printenv
> 	bootdelay=5
> 	bootcmd=bootm 200000
> 	ipaddr=192.168.1.103
> 	serverip=192.168.1.100
> 	ethaddr=08:00:17:00:00:03
> 	bootargs=root /dev/nfs rw
> nfsroot=192.168.1.100:/home/apovolot/fadsroot
> 	baudrate=19200
> 	stdin=serial
> 	stdout=serial
> 	stderr=serial
> 
> 	Any ideas ?
> 	Thanks,
> 	Alex
> 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/