Subject: Installation hangs because asks for input from terminal
From: Alexander Colesnicov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:04:18 +0300

Dear Sir/Madam,

I tried to install cygwin and it hanged when executing
/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh . To proceed further, I marked this
script as "done" and all the rest was OK. Then I started cygwin and run
this script manually. I found that it was a conflict with my existing
fpTeX installation (fpTeX is a TeTeX port to Windows) that defined an
environment variable TEXMFCNF to one of Windows directories. The script
post-texmf.sh diagnosted that and asked for user's reaction. I redefined
the variable in my .bashrc as TEXMFCNF="/usr/share/texmf/web2c:", and
the script run. The bad thing is that the terminal window does not exist
during setup.exe run. Therefore, the user can not react to script's
questions. My recommedation is to reprogram post-texmf.sh in such a
manner that it will never ask for user's intervention, and will set the
TEXMFCNF variable uncoditionally to its true value to avoid the
described conflict.

Yours sincerely

Dr. Alexander Colesnicov,
Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Chisinau, Rep. of Moldova

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/