Subject: Re: Perl module download ?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:38:08 -0700

Ramneek Singh wrote:
> 
> I need clarification on which modules I need for using perl on cygwin.
> I only see perl-libwin32 under system category. Is that all that's
> required ?
> Its not included in default package. I can select it, but is there
> something else
> Related to perl somewhere else. I don't see it, but I may have missed
> seeing it.

It depends on what you want to do.  Perl itself comes bundled with a
fair number of modules, but if the module you wish to use is not one of
these then you'll need to install it yourself.  This is done through
CPAN, not Cygwin setup.exe.  The only reason you see perl-libwin32 as a
package in setup.exe is because it's a particularly nasty module to
install, which you cannot typically install straight from CPAN as you
can most other modules.  See "perldoc CPAN.pm" for more info.  In
general you can test for the presense of module Foo::Bar with:

perl -MFoo::Bar -e1

If no error is reported then the module is installed, otherwise you will
have to use something along the lines of the following:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Foo::Bar'

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/