Subject: Strange behaviours: attributable to XP SP2?
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:55:41 +0100

There have been two strange changes in behaviour/ response/ output that I
have noticed recently, and that I can only attribute to the installation of
XP SP2, since that is all that has altered on my system. Has anybody else
who has installed SP2 noticed this, or similar, or anything else (or
nothing)?

I had been using the latest cygwin1.dll snapshot but reverted to the current
cygwin1.dll when I noticed this. The behaviours remain evident. They are
awfully annoying.

1. setup: the column width allowed for "Current" is now greatly increased
and without tediously dragging the column border leftwards or panning the
viewed section rightwards, the only viable approach is to operate setup
using full screen. Otherwise, the columns to the right of "Current" ("New",
etc) are occasionally non-empty but invisible, so quite what new users think
they are being told/ asked to do, I cannot imagine. If this really is a
consequence of installing SP2 (rather than just me failing to cope properly
with some unconnected alteration in  presentation) then it's a bit of a
blow.

2. cygcheck -c used to present its output  
	package	version	OK
or maybe occasionally
	package	version	Incomplete
very conveniently, package by package, line after line. Now after installing
SP2 either blank lines alternate, or the word OK is presented below the
information package..version.. (though as far as I can tell there is no ^J
causing the line break). Again, it seems to me that something has changed --
and not for the better -- in XP's grasp of useable screen width.

Of course, it could be my horrible machine or my bad driving of it.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/