Subject: Re: Professionally produced Cygwin CD?
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:15:14 +0100

> I do desperately need a full install of Cygwin
> on my PC.
> Things will go easier with my sysadmin
> if I can hand him a professional-looking CD
> and say "install this".

A full install won't fit on one CD. Including all .src files and all of
[prev] and [test] as well as [curr] you need about 2.0-2.2 GB under release/
just for the Cygwin resource.

A while ago (12 months or more) I know from experience that it was both
possible and practical to fit all the [curr] non-.src files on to a CD and
fully install from that. But I suspect that the Cygwin provision is now so
great that even that is now no longer possible: too tight a squeeze.

Remarkably, growing the Cygwin resource into a working Cygwin system also
requires about 2 GB.

So: it is really not possible to offer your sysadmin one CD and say "explode
that" (a release+setup CD) or "copy that" (a copy of a Cygwin image). Nor do
I think the latter could be shrunk as a .tgz, but I suppose anything is
possible.

By the way you say "my PC". Why are you involving anybody else at all?

As a different topic entirely:

A tailored non-full resource (release+setup) could be made to fit on one CD.
Also, there are references on this list (
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01117.html and others ) to a
working portable CD system that works off CD on any Windows machine you care
to slot the thing into. There is some effort required to make this CD, but
it too requires a decision about What To Leave Out. This does not sound like
what you want, either.

Fergus  

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/