Subject: Re: BUG gcc-mingw 20040810-1 library search path
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Igor Pechtchanski <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:31:43 +0200

Hallo Igor,

Am Montag, 30. August 2004 um 04:23 schriebst du:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> This is in binutils/ld/configure.tgt:
>> i[3-7]86-*-cygwin*)     targ_emul=i386pe ;
>>                         targ_extra_ofiles="deffilep.o pe-dll.o"
>>                         test "$targ" != "$host" &&
>> LIB_PATH='${tooldir}/lib/w32api' ;;
>>
>> where tooldir should be /usr/i686-pc-mingw32 in this case and you need
>> to have the symlinks installed in /usr/i686-pc-mingw32:
>>     21 Nov  1  2003 bin -> ../i686-pc-cygwin/bin
>>     16 Nov  1  2003 include -> ../include/mingw
>>     12 Nov  1  2003 lib -> ../lib/mingw
>>
>> Now, the library path automatically searched by the linker is:
>> /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/../lib/mingw/w32api

>> % export tooldir=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32
>> % ls ${tooldir}/lib/w32api
>> ls: /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/w32api: No such file or directory

> Ahem.  Shouldn't this be

> $ export tooldir=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32
> $ ls -ld ${tooldir}/../lib/w32api
> drwxrwxr-x+   2 Administ SYSTEM          0 Jul 30 17:25
> /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/../lib/w32api/
> $

> (note the "../")?  As you can see, works just fine for me.

Yes of, course, that is my question, was it changed for binutils
recently?  Is tooldir=/usr then it works, if tooldir is /usr/$target,
then it is broken now and either the shortcuts needs to be changed or
ld definitions need to be changed (or tooldir def).

>> Maybe the definition of tooldir for binutlis builds has changed?
>> Sorry, but I don't see where I should change the bits in gcc.

> To the OP: your problem may potentially be that you're missing the
> /usr/lib mount.  However, since you didn't follow the Cygwin problem
> reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, and didn't
> attach the output of "cygcheck -svr" to your report, the above is just a
> WAG.

No, I don't think that he is missing s.th.  I can verify that the
reported problem exists, I see this myself, e.g. when building
libwin32, I just wasn't sure if it was my fault or gcc's or if it was
a binutils issue and didn't searched too long.

Now I want to know what is the reason since it looks like there were
no changes.  Christopher, is the tooldir defined during configure for
binutols or os it defined automatically internally by some logic, and
how is it defined for the ld compilation?

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/