Subject: Re: cygrunsrv xinetd problem
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:48:46 -0700

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > Nastepujace informacje sa czescia zdarzenia: xinetd : PID 3680 :
> > starting service `xinetd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted."
> 
> This, however, says:
> 
> "The following information is part of the event: xinetd : PID 3680 :
> starting service `xinetd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted."
> 
> Which is the actual message from xinetd, and is *very* helpful.  This
> basically says that the service manager couldn't execute the xinetd
> program when running as SYSTEM.  Check the permissions on both
> /usr/sbin/xinetd and /bin/cygwin1.dll (and whatever other DLLs the xinetd
> program depends on -- see the output of "cygcheck /usr/sbin/xinetd.exe").
> Make sure all of them are executable by SYSTEM.

The OP also mentioned the common line, "but I ran it as a normal user
and it started fine."  There should be a big "NO! don't do this!"
somewhere in the Users Guide about testing a service by running it from
your regular user account.  Doing so can create log, pid, etc. files
with the wrong ownership and permissions, so that when you later run it
as SYSTEM it fails because it cannot write or delete those files.  It's
always helpful to nuke all traces of these kinds of files when trying to
get a service to start that is erroring.

In this particular case it's probably not the problem because the error
would likely be "Permission denied" and not "Operation not permitted",
and so Igor's advise about checking for +x is probably right.  But I
thought I'd mention it as I've seen this bite people many times.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/