Subject: Re: License
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: Giulio Ardoino <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:08:50 +0200

On Aug 26 16:58, Giulio Ardoino wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> 
> > If you distribute a Cygwin DLL binary, you must also provide the sources
> > of the DLL.  It's not enough to point to the Cygwin web page.  For further
> > details, see http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
> 
> Thanks a lot Corinna.
> This means I'm allowed to distribute cygwin dll as long as I distribute
> it with sources, as I understand.
> Let's say I'm writing a commercial program that uses GNU zip under
> windows (and therefore must be distributed with cygwin dll), am I
> allowed to do this as long as I include cygwin and zip sources?

As long as your proprietary application is not load-time or run-time
linked against the Cygwin DLL, or against any other GPL'd library, then
you should be fine by distributing the sources of all open-sourced stuff
in your package.

However, IANAL, so if you want to be on the real safe side, contact a
lawyer which is specialized in licensing issues, or use one of the
official Red Hat contacts given on the http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
web page.

Corinna

P.S.: A simpler option is to use a Windows native GNU zip, which takes
the Cygwin DLL out of the equation.

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          mailto:[email-masked]
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/