Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Release candidate: gcc-3.4.1-1
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: "Krzysztof Duleba" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:06:23 +0200

Krzysztof wrote:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>> I've made a release candidate of gcc 3.4 available for download.

> Will gcc 3.4 overwrite gcc 3.3, or will it install in a separate
> directory? I'd prefer to have both gcc 3.4 and gcc 3.3 at the same time. I
> still have gcc 2.95 working as well (and I use it when I need to test
> backward compatibility) and I hope that it won't get erased too.

If you use setup to install older installations will be removed and if
you extract the tarball manually, the main executables in /usr/bin will
be overwritten.  The actual compilers are versioned
(/usr/lib/gcc/.../3.4.1/ etc.).  And there are the versioned executables 
in /usr/bin which have the correct path to the compiler hardcoded, so if
you install manually it is no problem to try a compilation with
different compilers (at least for C & Ada).

Just call
/usr/bin/i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-3.3.3.exe
or
/usr/bin/i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-3.4.1.exe
to make it easier to switch I would make links with shorter names.

More difficult is C++, ObjC, Java and Fortran which have their runtime
in /usr/lib, there is just one version possible, versioned libraries are
currently not supported.

In case you need several libstdc++ libraries I recommend to rebuild the
compiler yourself (should be no problem if you use the provided sources,
at least since version 3.3.1 all is in the source tarball included) and
use the configure option to enable versioned libs:
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs 

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/