Subject: Re: sed and dos format
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:16:58 -0700

Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:

> You wrote:
> > james pentland wrote:
> >
> >> sed has the unfortunate property that it reduces dos
> >> format line endings to unix format line endings.
> >
> > Use a text mode mount.
> 
> Using a sledgahammer for a nail?
>  Better to use unix2dos A.K.A. u2d.

I disagree.  He said he was doing this with many files.  It's far easier
to just mount the directory once as textmode and not have to change
anything than it is to edit all his scripts to run u2d afterward, and
have to remember to do that to all future scripts.  One "mount" command
versus potentially dozens of current and future script updates is hardly
a "sledgehammer for a nail".  Plus textmode mounts will keep his files
with DOS line endings no matter what processing he does, whereas "u2d"
requires that he remember to run that command any time he changes a file
with a cygwin program.  I don't see how you can advocate manually having
to do that every time when there's a feature built in to Cygwin to
handle this very thing and handle it more efficiently.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/